Author Topic: 1.1.15 Windows - Subject: massive sound calls  (Read 961 times)

Offline TheRaffy

• Resident Half-Troll
    • View Profile
    • Canopus
1.1.15 Windows - Subject: massive sound calls
« on: January 30, 2011, 08:57:07 am »
Times seen:
Network, Host
Hi, its a general thing, when a lot sounds are playing at the same time, imagine 50 Trikes/Quads shooting at structures, then the sound will get ugly.

I guess the noise/sound of the old Sound-Calls will get cut off by the new ones in order for starting them from the beginning. This will effect some ugly click, snap, creak, rumble or rumbling. Dunno how u like saying to this. I also guess theres a count of maximum sounds, which are allowed to get played at the same time and maybe a maximum count of how many times a sound can be active at the same time. hmm..

- Maybe u can fade the old ones out before starting the new ones. when the maximum is reached.
- Maybe u can use the distance between the screen and the sound position, and just play the most centered ones.
- Maybe u don't allow new sounds until the old ones got full played.

ya:)

Edit 1:
I understand u and i agree thats a problem of older hardware.
When somebody else will have this then his pc also will be from the xp generation.
ya, iam sure!
U don't need to fix it, because its not gamebreaking at all. But id like u to know this. I may send ya a record of the audio, for joy :P
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:58:48 am by TheRaffy »

Offline Drackbolt

• Maker
  • Administrator
  • Well then.
    • View Profile
    • Krizik.com
Re: 1.1.15 Windows - Subject: massive sound calls
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 07:57:20 pm »
There is already a limit of sounds, controlled by channels.  There are four combat channels and they have controlled behavior according to the type of sound.  There are some sound cards that have issues with multiple channels; since not many people have complained of this, you might be an unfortunate one.  It's tough for me to fix because I can't replicate it, and I can't reduce the channels any further.

Anyone else confirm they have this issue?
Creator/Programmer - Dune 2: TGP

Dune 2: The Golden Path Forum

Re: 1.1.15 Windows - Subject: massive sound calls
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 07:57:20 pm »