Author Topic: 1.1.16 Windows - Subject: quad core problem  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Fixed

• View Profile
1.1.16 Windows - Subject: quad core problem
« on: March 08, 2011, 06:39:17 am »
Times seen: 10
Network, Host
Hi,

I've checked up some things in order to fix my network problem, I posted in the bug threat...
I've found out, that the problem is for sure my quad core processor.
Normally you can fix such problems in windows 7 easily with the following setup:
1. start dune 2 tgp
2. start the task manager
3. step to the process button
4. right click on the dune 2 tgp button
5. click on affiliation select button
6. choose only one or two chores...

But there is a problem, when I click on the affiliation button: An error message appears: "access denied"
I googled this error and I found out, that such an error is a problem of the game, not of windows.
Now my question:
Do you have an idea how I (you) can fix that, in order to select only 1 or 2 chores? I'm sure it would work then...
thank you for helping
fixed
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:59:14 am by Fixed »

Offline Drackbolt

• Maker
  • Administrator
  • Well then.
    • View Profile
    • Krizik.com
Re: 1.1.16 Windows - Subject: quad core problem
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:15:30 am »
Hello Fixed,

First, let me make sure you understand CPU Affinity and my program.  As of the last several versions, D2TGP is compiled only for a single thread, which means it cannot use more than one CPU at a time.  When you set Affinity to certain processors, you are only forcing D2TGP to use one of the ones you have selected.  Which one it chooses is up to the system, but after that it only uses a single core, which you can observe in a CPU % monitor.

I cannot think of any way my program could be preventing you from setting Affinity (and I have no problem doing this on my 6-core machine, even while I have no need to).  At this point, I think it is more likely that one or more of your CPU cores is unstable, since it sounds like you may experience issues with other games as well.  Maybe this is a dual-core you unlocked to quad?  I'm sorry I can't offer more help with what I know.
Creator/Programmer - Dune 2: TGP

Dune 2: The Golden Path Forum

Re: 1.1.16 Windows - Subject: quad core problem
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 11:15:30 am »