Poll

If Foot units (Infantry, Troopers and variants) all operated as in the classic game, where a squad was a single unit and could not be broken up, would you be more likely to use Foot units on average?

Yes, because I find the current way they work too clumsy and/or messy
1 (25%)
Yes, because I prefer the nostalgia of the old way
0 (0%)
No, because I prefer the current approach as more realistic and/or visually pleasing
3 (75%)
No, because I don't think they're useful enough to use anyway
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: April 30, 2014, 11:25:17 am

Author Topic: Foot unit usage  (Read 459 times)

Offline Drackbolt

• Maker
  • Administrator
  • Well then.
    • View Profile
    • Krizik.com
Foot unit usage
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:25:17 am »
This game's been out a long time, and there are many veteran players who are well familiar with the pros and cons of all units.  However, Foot units don't receive their fair share of usage in most cases.  As some of you know, I don't revisit this project for the most part except to make minor balance changes, but in this case I'm curious enough to consider an exception.

Infantry:
* very cheap and fast to build
* counter tanks hard by being small and forcing them to waste their damage potential
* do extra damage to buildings and don't show up on radar, making great sneak-attack units
* plug up holes and swarm enemies to hold them in place

Troopers:
* still relatively cheap
* faster and tougher than Infantry with higher range and damage
* high density of firepower
* same ability to take down buildings and make back-door attacks
* Slightly less hard-counter and more general purpose

Fremen:
* as with Infantry, but don't do extra damage to buildings; instead do massive extra damage to other Foot units of all kinds
* fastest Foot unit available

Sardaukar:
* More accentuated version of Troopers; higher stats in most areas, and more expensive

Saboteur:
* Identical to Infantry, but do phenomenal damage to Buildings and have higher vision
* Much more expensive but able to take most buildings quickly single-handedly, and can hide in Infantry ranks

It seems to me that they all have good use cases and should show up in more games on a per-credit basis.  However it's not the case, and I'm starting to wonder if the reason is not because of their balance and utility, but in their implementation.  Did I make a mistake and over-complicate them by allowing single infantry to jump around into different cells?  I love how it looks personally, but is it annoying for most players to manage to the point where it deters the use of Foot units in general?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 11:28:55 am by Drackbolt »
Creator/Programmer - Dune 2: TGP

Dune 2: The Golden Path Forum

Foot unit usage
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:25:17 am »